IHV Insurance claims are covered as part of your IHA registration fees. To claim using the IHA insurance policy for injuries while playing, the following information should be considered and followed. Injury reports and forms should be sent to for further actioning.

IHA Player & Travel Insurance

IHA has a National Insurance Scheme that covers the following categories:

  •       Sports Injury
  •       Public Liability
  •       Directors and Officers
  •       Professional Indemnity
  •       Corporate Travel
  •       Office Insurance

All insurance coverage is via Arthur J. Gallagher and Co. (AJG) who can be found at

The National Insurance Scheme is available to all IHA Members, Associations and Clubs. Included in this coverage is the National Sports Injury Scheme for which the coverage is determined by the General Assembly. Members wishing to have increased coverage are advised to seek Private Health Insurance.

The IHA is responsible for indemnifying it’s board members, auditor, manager, employee or agent against all damages and costs (including legal costs) for which any such board member, auditor, manager, employee or agent may be or become liable to any third party in consequence of any act or omission except wilful misconduct.

Under Australian Law, this insurance does not cover items covered by Medicare. The insurance does cover non-Medicare items such as physiotherapy and dental where referred by a doctor. Notwithstanding this, sports insurance in Australia is designed to cover “catastrophic” events with minor treatment being covered by Medicare and private health insurance.

As a result, members are strongly urged to take out private health insurance cover. Sports injury insurance is not meant to be a substitute for prudent personal Health Fund insurance cover.

Non-Australian residents (import players) are not covered by Medicare and therefore are advised to take out their own health insurance before beginning to play.

A summary of the policy benefits is shown below. The full Policy is available for inspection at your State Association office.

Further details on the policy and how to claim are available below in the Quick Guide below.

Points of Importance

  • IHA  tracks and trends injuries sustained in IHA sanctioned competition games regardless of how minor they may be.  These are to be recorded on IHA’s Sports Injury Form and actioned as stated on the form. All injuries must be reported to the State Association Office who will forward the report to the IHA Office for review by our Chief Medical Officer. He will also pass information to the insurer for statistical analysis.

Where the injury may result in a claim, then AJG must be notified within thirty (30) days of occurrence.

The lodgement process for Sporting Injury claims is in the first instance to email AJG via

AJG will advise you of the benefits applicable and work with you through the completion of the claim form (see link below),  lodgement, and settlement. The claims form, once completed, can be lodged online by emailing to the sport.brisbane address.

Treatment must take place within twelve ( 12 ) months of the injury occurring.

Relevant Files:

AJG Sports Insurance Claim Form

IHA Injury Reporting Form

Sports Insurance Schedule of Cover

Travel Insurance Policy

Travel – Confirmation of Cover